jedcstuff

2009-04-01

April First Day

Sometimes it seems to me, afflicted with the naive connection with other people, called "Asperger's Syndrome", that they consider all 365 days of the year as open season April Fools Day re how they treat Aspies. Yet earlier in life, it seemed an aspect of just one day of the year - April 1st. In Grade School - I think it is called "Middle School" now - on that day I attempted to remember to expect other students to con me into expecting something, then the prankster would excitedly shout "April Fool!" to announce success. And they expected me to also play the game with them; but it was very difficult for me to contrive such a thing; but I think I did so a few times, maybe. In later years i read some interesting sounding technical articles in the April issue of some magazines, only to discover it was an April fools joke on the readers. When I worked at the normally very serious company doing engineering and manufacture of car alarms in the 90's, one morning I came in to work, turned on my computer as usual, and then noticed an erratic clicking sound and eventually traced it to my computer, which was dropping some random letters off the typing on the DOS text screen and the letters were piling up on the bottom of the screen; I could re-boot the computer but could not type in the command to launch the antivirus program quickly enough before some letter would be dropped out of it and so it would not work. A couple of coworkers, including my supervisor, had come in early that day to put the harmless virus on my computer and got lots of laughs when I was trying to point out I had a problem with my computer that I could not fix. And yet, there is uneasiness when recalling Jesus' rare intense admonition against saying "Thou Fool" as being a most serious no-no to do. Overall, April Fool's Day is a helpful reminder to me that things are not always what they seem to be; and sometimes even deliberately so.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home